Whether you are having a mud bath just for the fun and experience or as a therapeutic bath to ease off aches and detoxify your body, sure, a mud bath is absolutely a great adventure, especially if you are not claustrophobic.
And while having a mud bath, it is okay to do so completely naked, but if you are on the conservative side, you will definitely want to wear at least a ratty T-shirt and short or an old bathing suit. But where you can’t lay your hands on any of these, obviously, your sleek bathing suit will have to pay the price.
Obviously, the next question that may be popping through your head at this time may be “do mud bath ruin bathing suit?”
Yes, mud bath can ruin bathing suit. However, there is absolutely nothing to fret about because this post will walk you through how to get your ruined bathing suit restored without hassles, especially after a mud bath.
What Is Special About a Mud Bath?
Mud Bath is a nice way of easing skin symptoms like rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis. It also relieves pains in the joints and aches. Interestingly, a mud bath can bring a relaxing atmosphere that clears the mind.
Furthermore, when you consider the benefits of a mud bath, the best thing to do is to know how to remove stains from your bathing suits instead of avoiding this awesome experience.
What makes up a mud bath?
Before we talk about removing stains that mud baths cause, we should know the kind of mud that is used for mud bathing. The type of mud used for mud bathing comprises Canadian peat, volcanic ash, and heated mineral water.
The use of mud baths was mainly for arthritis relief. It was common in Western and Eastern Europe before it expands to other parts of the world. Some people use more than the three basic components, and he type of material used for the mud determines the kind of stain that will appear on your bathing suit afterwards.
How to Remove Mud Stains from Bathing Suit
Now that we know the kind of stains that can ruin your bathing suits, the next thing is to know is how to remove them without breaking a sweat. Well, there are different materials we can use to remove them.
We will give you different materials that can remove the stains from your bathing suits. When you apply them appropriately; your bathing suits will return to how it was before you use it for a mud bath.
1. The Use of Baking Soda
Baking soda has proven to be one of the most suitable products for removing stains from bathing suits. Besides using it for bathing suits, it is an excellent product for washing any kind of bathing wear.
Procedure on how to use Baking Soda
It is important to know how to use it appropriately. It is not just to buy it and put your bathing suit into it. You must know the steps on how to use it, the following steps will help you.
- Pour half cup of baking soda in five liters bucket
- Stir the water thoroughly for even distribution before soaking your bathing suit for 1 – 2 hours.
- Wash the bathing suit to remove the mud stain completely.
- Rinse it enough clean water to remove the baking soda completely
- Hang it to dry in an open space
- Your bathing suit is free from stains and ready for use next time
How to Remove Pesky Stains
Some stains need pre-treatment. For such stains, general stain removal may not remove them easily.
- Mix 6 tablespoons of this baking soda with 1/3th cup of warm water. It will give you a paste.
- Use the paste on the stains. Allow the paste to dry on the stains
- Then, wash the bathing suit and hang it to dry.
- Don’t use the paste to wash the whole suit to avoid facing the suit. Use it to remove the stains only before washing the suit.
2. The Use of Vinegar
The use of vinegar to remove mud stains after mud bathing is easy and simple. One thing about vinegar is that it is gentle and still removes stains from your bathing suits.
Procedure on how to use Vinegar
Though you may hear about people using vinegar to remove mud stains from a bathing suit, it is essential to know how to do it yourself. Take note of the following steps. It will help you to get it done easily.
- Fill a container with 3 cups of water and a cup of vinegar
- Soak the bathing suit. Make sure the fabric, especially the stain portion, is submerged.
- Keep the soaked fabric for 5 – 6 hours. If possible, keep it overnight so that the stains can remove easily.
- Remove the bathing suit to inspect the stain areas. Wash the bathing suit.
- Rinse it in clean water and hang it to dry completely.
3. The Use of Detergent
Recently, some detergents can remove mud stains from bathing suits. They are perfect for bathing suits and neither bleach nor react on the body next time you wear them.
Procedure On How To Use Detergent
It is not every detergent that is suitable for the removal of mud bath stain from a bathing suit. Before you use any detergent, ensure it is meant for stain removal from bathing suits.
- After purchasing your detergent, check the instruction on the product cover.
- Pour an appropriate amount of detergent into a container
- Keep it for few hours to react with the stains on the bathing suit
- Wash it and keep eyes on the stain areas to know that they are not there
- Rinse it in enough clean water to remove the detergent
- Hang it to dry in an open space
4. The Use Of Bleach
Bleach is another material that can help you remove mud bath stains from your bathing suit. It is essential to know the exact bleach that is suitable for your bathing suit. If you have a bathing suit that reacts with bleach, use a non-chlorinated type.
Procedure on How to use Bleach
Before you start applying bleach to your bathing suit, keep in mind that bleach can fade your bathing suit if it is not properly applied. Moreover, chlorinated bleaches are suitable for white bathing suits while non-chlorinated bleaches are suitable for colored bathing suits.
- Put 60ml of bleach into 4litres of water in a bucket
- Soak the bathing suit in the bucket for 4-6 hours
- Ensure that the bathing suit, especially the stain portion, is completely submerged.
- Remove the cloth from the bucket and wash it with detergent
- Keep eyes on the stain portions to ensure they are removed completely
- Rinse it with enough clean water to remove the detergent and bleach completely
- Hang it in an open space to dry completely
Important Things To Note
- As stated earlier, mud baths consist of some products that may cause permanent stains that may take a longer time to remove.
- When using any of the above products, it is important to adhere to the instruction by the manufacturer for optimal performance.
- Some bathing suits are fragile and can easily damage if exposed to harsh products. Kindly consider the material of your bathing suit before applying any product to it.
- Sometimes, it takes more than one wash for mud bath stains to remove from bathing suits. Keep on washing it gently until the stains are completely out.
- For deep stains, try to remove the stains separately before washing the whole bathing suit. Some stains can spray to other parts and becomes difficult to remove.
We are sure you are ready to take a mud bath without bothering about it ruining your bathing suit. To make it easy for you to get the best products, here are some tested and certified products to consider.
These products are suitable for stain removal, including mud bath stains. You can choose from any of them to keep your fabric clean, fresh, and ready for every mud bath session.
1. Persil Liquid Laundry Detergent, ProClean Scent, 2X Concentrated
For a deep and near-perfect wash and stain-removal, Persil Liquid Laundry detergent is a good option to consider. One good thing I love about this laundry liquid is the fact that it is renowned for fighting the toughest stains, and its concentrated ingredient composition gives it more cleaning power compared to other conventional laundry powder or liquid. Interestingly, Persil liquid laundry detergent is environmentally friendly. So, you can use it any time, and anywhere without worrying about any after-effect
2. OxiClean White Revive Laundry Whitener + Stain Remover, 5 lbs
OxiClean White Revive Laundry Whitener is another powerful stain remover that works perfectly with conventional detergent to restore your bathing suit to its original colour and look with just a single wash. With just 15minutes pre-wash soaking, Oxiclean gives over 40% whitening efficiency than other regular chlorine bleach. Finally, the best part of this product is that it has a color protection formula that keeps and preserve your bathing suit from fading after washing.
Conclusion – Do Mud Baths Ruin Bathing Suits?
Still worried about removing mud stains from your bathing suit? Obviously “NO” Why? Because we have not only analyzed the effect of mud baths on a bathing suit, but we have also given you the best and possible solutions to it.
You shouldn’t allow the fear of stains from mud baths to stop you from enjoying its benefits. The above ways of removing stains from mud baths will help you get your bathing suit clean and fresh after mud baths. We listed some products you can select to make it easy. Give it a try today!
You may see some products here which has either been used by us or independently selected by (obsessive) editors. As an affiliate of Amazon, Anything purchased through our links may earn us a commission at no extra cost to you.