Known popularly for increasing efficiency in water, a bathing suit is a piece of clothing that is designed specially to be worn for water-based activities, such as surfing, diving, and swimming, among others. Bathing suits are available in different types for Men, women, and children.
Bathing suits reduce drags and allow easy movement in the water. However, because of the see-through nature of most bath suits when wet, there have been different speculations as to if it were possible to add a liner to a bathing suit. Read on to find out.
Can You Add a Liner to a Bathing Suit?
Yes, you can add a liner to a bathing suit. Bathing suits are made in different styles and varieties, ranging from skimpy bikinis to fluttering suits. When you add a liner to your bath suit, it helps conceal your body when wet, provide support to your genitals during water-based activities, and protects them from harm.
However, remember that whether you are adding your liner to your bathing suit, You will require certain skills and measurements to successfully add the liner to your bath suit.
How to Add a Liner to a Bathing Suit
To add a liner to a bathing suit, you’ll require some measurements and sewing skills. Adding a liner to a bathing suit:
Turn the swimsuit inside out and place it on top of the fabric then place it on a flat, dry surface. Use a tape to measure the crotch piece’s length and add an inch to the measurement. Take the measurement of the Crotch’s center width and add an inch to the measurement.
Take the measure of the area around the chest of the bathing suit. Write down the measurement of the front neckline, from the side to the other side seam. Add an inch to the measurement. Take measurements below the bust line and where you want the bottom liner to be placed on your body.
Measure across the front of the bathing suit from side seam to side seam. Measure the bathing suit’s neckline towards the place on the suit you want to line to sit. Add an inch to the measurement.
Place your liner fabric on a flat, dry surface and cross out the crotch liner piece with the crotch measurements you took. Sketch an hourglass shape, making sure the slim, center area of the hourglass shape matches the crotch width measurement.
The crotch length measurement should be the same as the top and bottom of the hourglass shape. Ensure that the wider edge of the hourglass shape is 2 inches wider than the slimmest area of the crotch lining.
Cross out the bust area on the liner fabric and sketch a shape mimicking the neckline around the top of the liner piece portraying the height measurements. Place the liner fabric across a bikini top and cross out the shape of the bathing suit cup an inch from the bathing suit. However, you will require a two-liner piece of the same fabric and length.
Cut the bust and crotch piece and place the crotch piece onto the crotch area of the bathing suit. As you place the crotch piece on the crotch area, ensure you fold the edge of the liner fabric. However, ensure the fabric is placed right along with the bathing suit.
While folding the edge of the fabric, pin the bust piece in place. Ensure that the liner is perfectly placed along the neckline of the bathing suit without overshadowing the neckline.
Using a sewing machine and a straight stitch, sew the edge of the crotch piece on the curved sides. Take off the pins when sewing. Sew the bust liner and the top neckline with a straight stitch. That’s it, you can turn the right side of the bathing suit out.
Benefits of Adding a Liner to a Bathing Suit
Adding a liner to a bathing suit has many advantages.
Some of them are:
- The liner adds an additional protective layer to help in covering the sensitive areas of the body when the fabric gets wet.
- Adding a liner to a bathing suit can help in adding support to the structure of the bathing suit. It helps the suits last longer, giving you better support, and retaining their shape.
- The liner helps make the bathing suit thicker hence not showing anything it shouldn’t.
- When you add a liner to your bathing suit you’ll get to enjoy the support on your skin. It helps in keeping the bathing suit in place without you having to constantly adjust yourself.
Types of Bathing Suits You Can Add Liner On
Below are some examples of bathing suits you can add a liner to:
1. Deci Women Rash Guard Long Sleeve One Piece Swimsuit
The one-piece swimsuit comes with a long sleeve that covers your arms and your body’s midsection. A liner can be added to this bathing suit. Long sleeve bathing suits are available in different colors and varieties. Below is a long-sleeve bathing suit we recommend for you:
About this item:
- This bathing suit comes with a zipper on the chest for easy removal.
- It has a built-in bra that gives enough support.
- This long sleeve swimsuit is stylish and charming and comes in a sleek one-piece design.
- It is made of a comfortable material.
2. Eomenie One Piece Swimsuits for Women Cutout Tie Back and Side Monokini
This type of bathing suit is an intersection of both a bikini and one-piece swimsuits. Both the top and bottom parts of the bathing suit are connected. However, most of the midsection is still bare. Below is a monokini swimsuit we recommend for you:
About this item:
- It is made of Spandex and nylon.
- It has a tie closure.
- Made of imported materials.
- The swimsuit comes with adjustable straps at both the neck and lace-up design.
- This is a one-Piece Cut-Out Swimsuit
3. CUPSHE Women’s One Piece Swimsuit One Shoulder Cut Out Ribbed Swimwear
This type of swimsuit is connected on a single shoulder not from behind the neck. You can add a liner to this type of swimsuit too. One-shoulder bathing swimsuits are elegant, chic, and classy. Below is a one-shoulder bathing suit we recommend:
About this item:
- The swimsuit is made of 91% Nylon and 9% Spandex.
- The swimsuit comes with a padded bra.
- The swimsuit is perfect for a tropical beach, pool, honeymoon, and vacations.
- The bathing suit is a one-shoulder ribbed fabric design.
4. Hilor Women’s Strapless One Piece Swimsuit Bandeau Bathing Suits
This type of swimsuit is designed in a way that only covers your torso and stops under the collar bone. Strapless bathing suits do not come with any sleeves or straps that will lie on your shoulder.
Getting a strapless bathing suit that will fit your body perfectly can be difficult, thankfully below is a strapless bathing suit we recommend.
About this item:
- This bathing suit comes with built-in molded bra cups.
- The swimsuit is already lined and comes with a bikini bottom for additional coverage.
- It has a removable halter strap that provides additional bust support.
- This swimsuit is perfect for enhancing natural curves.
5. Yonique One Piece Swimsuits for Women Modest Tummy Control Swimdress
These are bathing suits made from non-absorbent materials. You can add a liner to this bathing suit to conceal your body when wet. This is a swim dress we recommend for you:
About this item
- This Swimdress looks elegant, flattering yet modest. It helps provide coverage and keeps you feeling secure.
- The Simdress comes with a tummy control detail and makes you look slimmer.
- It has a pull on Closure.
- The swimsuit comes with removable padded bras and provides maximum support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions about adding a liner to a bathing suit.
Do you need a liner in a swimsuit?
Yes, you need a liner in your swimsuit. Without the lining, the swimsuits can get cling to your skin easily. It can get uncomfortable when the fabric gets wet. The liner serves as a layer that conceals your body and helps promote quick drying.
What material is used for lining bathing suits?
Bathing suits are mostly lined using polyester fabric. The use of this fabric in the swimwear industry dates back several years ago. Polyester fabric can be used by itself or blended with Lycra and the fabric is most widely used in the bathing suits production industry. Polyester is now available in New technologies with an improved texture, leaving an amazing feel of the material and making the fabric above other fabrics.
Why are bathing suits lined?
Liners are added to swimsuits to help prevent bathing suits from becoming see-through when wet. Without liners, bathing suits become too thin making you need a cover-up immediately you get out of the water.
Can you wear a bathing suit without a liner?
Yes, bathing suits can be worn without liner. Swimsuits without liners look better. However, a lot of people avoid bathing suits without liners because when they get into the water, their bathing suits become immediately see-through and will require a cover-up immediately. And the nipple once erect becomes visible to others when wearing a bathing suit without liner.
Conclusion – How to Add a Liner to a Bathing Suit
Bathing suits without liner reveal your body and make you immediately look for a cover-up when you are wet. The bathing suit becomes see-through when wet.
Adding a liner to your bathing suit gives additional support to your suit and makes them last longer. Do you have any questions about adding a liner to a bathing suit? Kindly drop them in the comments section.
You may see some products here which has either been used by us or independently selected by (obsessive) editors. As an affiliate of Amazon, Anything purchased through our links may earn us a commission at no extra cost to you.